So many teenagers and young adults look at the pictures of women and men in magazines and decide that they must look the same way that those chiseled individuals look! Luckily, or maybe not so luckily, there is a whole world of gimmick products out there to help you get these god and goddess bods! These diets are often described as low-carb, low-calorie, and low-fat. What isn’t written in the description is that these diets are, usually, low-health! Fad diets are typically defined as diets that allow you to loose weight quickly, but do not have long lasting effects. Generally, these diets are incredibly unhealthy and can cause many problems for your body.
I mean, think about it! How many people have you seen go on these amazing crash-diets that succeed for a while and then, just as quickly, fall back into their old habits? Even if they lost the weight at the time, didn’t it always seem to return a few months later? If you’ve known people like the ones that I have known, the answer is yes. The sad, sad truth of the matter is that fad diets don’t succeed in actually helping you to loose weight and keep it off! Instead, they weaken your body and deprive you of things that your body actually needs!
So, what kind of diet actually works?! The kind of diet that enforces burning more calories than you take into your body. Diets that work are diets that promote portion control, exercise, non-processed food items, and patiently waiting for the weight to fall off. Successful, healthy diets take time. They don’t provide the diet-er with the same instant gratification that fad diets do. However, if you’re looking for a long lasting weight-loss, healthy diets are the way to go!
Common Fad Diets:
- Acai Berry Diet
- 3 Day Diet
- HCG Diet
- Negative Calorie Diet
- Grapefruit Diet
- Tapeworm Diet
Healthy Ways to Diet:
- Portion Control! Don’t super-size your fries or eat three helpings at dinner! Don’t go into Gordy and gorge yourself on pizza, fries, and whatever pasta is being served. Instead, choose to eat something healthy and appropriate in size.
- Variety is important! Your body needs many different nutrients to survive. Don’t deny your body something that it needs.
- Be aware! Avoid buying combo meals that include fries, a drink, and a sandwich. Buying combo meals is a way to ensure that you’re eating a portion that is much too large. Avoid all-you-can-eat buffets, condiments, sodas, and other unhealthy and processed foods. Keep in mind that what you put into your body fuels you. If you’re not eating healthy, you can’t live healthy.
- Exercise! I know that no one wants to exercise. However, a healthy diet requires a balance of exercise and good food. To get a pretty shape, you need to do exercises that will tone your body and promote fat loss. (You can go to our exercises tab to learn more about these kinds of exercises!)
- Count Calories! Most people believe that counting calories is actually unhealthy! This is not necessarily true. To loose weight, your body must burn more calories than it takes in. However, don’t go crazy with your calorie counting! You should use a calorie calculator to decipher your calorie intake. Don’t push yourself! Your body does need some sustenance, you know!
By eating healthy, exercising, and having patience, you will see improvements to your body and the weight will begin to disappear. It may not happen overnight. However, with persistence, you will be rocking your beach bod – and you’ll be healthy to boot!
-Kelcey Caulder, Managing Editor