Careers in medicine are all about creating an impact. It could be healing a suffering patient or coming up with new, revolutionized treatments in medical science. The impact you can create depends on the ingenuity you can bring to the table.
Are you considering a degree in healthcare? If yes, great decision. We can’t wait to share with you the prestige of this career. If not, gear up; you’re about to learn a lot about why this decision could be a life-changer.
Without further ado, let us get straight to the topic.
1. Exciting and versatile job opportunities
The healthcare profession is an ever-expanding field. With advancements in technology and medical science, research is rapidly opening up new opportunities.
Catering to all types of personalities and skills, hundreds of professions are available in the healthcare sector. You can opt to work in an administrative office, overseeing the timely distribution of resources and making and implementing new policies. Psychiatry is pursued by those seeking to understand the human mind and relationships, enjoying one-on-one consultations. Or, if your passion lies in clinical work, consider a rewarding career in surgery and general practice.
The healthcare profession is also invaluable in times of crisis, such as during a pandemic, war, or natural disaster. If mitigating the health consequences of such events seems your forte, consider pursuing a disaster management degree. These individuals are specially trained to deal with the challenges of a particular crisis or a disaster threatening human lives.
In short, there is a specialization tailored for every taste. Have you found yours?
2. Money can’t buy happiness, but I’d rather cry in a Lamborghini
Jokes aside, it is well-known that the medical profession is very lucrative when talent and hard work are correctly channeled and utilized. You may not buy a Lamborghini, but a financially secure and comfortable life itself is a dream come true.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that “the average annual wage for healthcare practitioners and technical occupations was $75,040 in May 2021, higher than the average annual wage for all occupations in the economy of $45,760.” Surprising, isn’t it?
3. Reputation means a lot to you
Healthcare professionals are competent, self-disciplined, and respected individuals. They deal with the most prized possession a person has: health. Everything else is futile to achieve and difficult to fully enjoy without good health.
They do a lot of work by making patients as comfortable as possible, providing treatment, and allowing those with disabilities to lead normal lives. It is not easy to become a healthcare professional as it requires earning a degree, skill, and knowledge through intensive hard work, dedication, and evaluation.
Their pristine reputation can be gauged by the fact that recently, The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), announced $103 million in awards for health care workers. Thereby stressing the importance of their services and the need to care for their mental and physical health.
4. High employment rate
The healthcare profession is one of the world’s fastest-growing fields. According to World Health Organization (WHO), “the global economy is projected to create around 40 million new health sector jobs by 2030.” It means that there will be an evergreen job market present for those who have a healthcare degree. Say goodbye to good old, despicable job insecurity.
5. Avail relief programs
Since health care professionals are highly sought-after, many relief programs and scholarships are available. This way, individuals getting into healthcare degree programs can easily focus on their studies and not worry about trying to save or arrange money to pay their fees. The healthcare programs are difficult and taxing, but relief on the financial side helps students to do their best to get the degree in the required time.
6. Challenge yourself
The healthcare field is extremely challenging and demanding. It entails working long, focused hours as people’s lives are potentially at stake. If you like helping others, taking on challenges, and having ambitions to serve your community or country and the whole of humankind, then this field is for you. Working alone or in a team, you’ll be exposed to several tasks and brain-wracking endeavors.
In addition, the healthcare profession offers travel opportunities beyond your expectations. Since they are needed everywhere in the world, you can apply for a job in your own country or take this as a chance to build your career elsewhere. Just think which place needs you the most and go for it.
7. Learn a Wide Variety of Skills
The list of skills you can earn in the healthcare profession is endless. Here are some of the top ones:
- Strong Communication Skills: Handling patients and staff members routinely provides strong interpersonal skills.
- Leadership and Teamwork:“Teamwork makes the dream work” in the healthcare sector. Before being approved, a decision needs to be cross-checked and corroborated with multiple professionals. It means learning to work as a team and taking charge when needed.
- Stress Management:Healthcare professionals are masters at staying calm and composed during highly stressful situations. They learn this skill over time, and it is one of those skills people in other fields would be envious of. Stress management skill also helps you in your daily life whenever you face a stressful situation.
- Attention to Detail:To work in the healthcare sector, one must always have their wits about themselves. They need sharp, analytical skills to diagnose and react to a medical emergency or situation.
- Critical Thinking: Solving problems hones you into a critical thinker. The process of diagnosing and improvising is an excellent way to develop this impeccable skill. It is so valuable that nowadays, separate paid courses are in demand everywhere.
A Dream Career Awaits
After listing seven important reasons why a career in healthcare benefits you, we hope you realize its far-fletching impact. It could be the career you’ve always dreamed of, from job security to the soft and hard skills you acquire – it is the best option you can have. Do not think twice; just go for this amazing and rewarding field.